Paranormal Activity 3 serves as a prequel to the first two movies, featuring the terrorized sisters in their child years. It seems to describe how this whole terror started, but one of the most glaring problems of the trilogy as a whole has now been created. There appear to be huge plot holes based on the events of the 3rd installment. For example, how do the sisters in the first two movies not remember any of this happening? I won't give anything away, but I'm just not sure that that is an answer that the inevitable Paranormal Activity 4 can answer. As far as the story in just this movie however, it is pretty well done. It helps to explain the origins of this demon and what sect of demonology "it" stems from. It even gives it a name: Toby! I also would like to point out that the acting is pretty good in this movie...I am always amazed how natural the families feel in these movies. I feel like it takes some unique type of acting to essentially act normal. And the children actors in the movie? Phenomenal. The older sister, Katie, played by Chloe Csengery does really good, but the true star of the show is the little Kristi played by Jessica Tyler Brown. At such a young age I was surprised that she was able to be so creepy and so cute all at the same time.
|Check the mirror reflection|
|This part never actually happens in the movie|
|Also never happens in the movie|
But if you have always been afraid of things lurking in your house, if you are in for a good scare, then I suggest this: work yourself up before the movie. Get stressed out about seeing it. It's what I do once a year when these things come out. I get all worked up beforehand and the experience is one of the most rewarding I have at the movies all year. Once it's all done, my muscles are sore and tense, it takes me a good two to three hours to calm down, and I feel as if I just had multiple heart attacks. I live for that type of adrenaline rush in movies, I would almost even compare it to bungee jumping...it gets to me that much. So when it comes to grading Paranormal Activity 3, I'm judging it on what it strives to be; and that's an effective horror movie. And damn it if these movies aren't effective.
- If you have the right mindset, the movies are immensely terrifying
- Fun scenes throughout help to lighten the mood
- Great acting, especially by Jessica Tyler Brown
- Genius methodology of scaring people. Little details add to the tension that builds at an alarming pace in some scenes
- The scares are plentiful and several are iconic. There are scenes I will never forget
- The fan-camera
- Creates plot holes in the trilogy that I don't think can be repaired
- I still find myself asking, "What is it with this family and cameras?"
- How do they keep the inevitable Paranormal Activity 4 fresh, and where do they go from here?
Rath's Review Score: 9/10