Saturday, August 27, 2011

Middle Earth Itinerary

I feel very weird writing this next sentence: On Thursday, my Spring Break starts. Its so crazy to think that we are already in week 7 of class, I am about to go on Spring Break, and DU still wont be in class when I get back from break...spoiled white kids! I kid, I kid, but seriously, its crazy for me to think about. 

Since most of you at home are probably on the edge of your seat shouting at your computer screen with excitement, 
       
      "Jordan, where are you going for Spring Break? Please tell me. I must know!" (trust me I know these blogs get pretty exciting, I dont blame your enthusiasm)

Well my friends, I am headed to Middle Earth. For those of you non-geeks out there, that is Lord of the Rings talk for New Zealand. I leave on Thursday right after class and arrive in Christchurch, New Zealand on Thursday night. I will be there for 9 days and 10 nights and then I return home in the afternoon of September 11th (I'm kinda not digging flying on a plane on that date, but oh well). So to inform you all about what I will be up to, I am writing this blog to describe my itinerary day-by-day-by-day-by-day (Meet the Parents joke there, I figure at least my dad and brother will get a chuckle). Anyways, here we go:

Please refer to this map for some city locations. Also, this is what New Zealand looks like in case you havent had geography in a while...
DAY 1: Arrive the night before on Sep. 1st and stay in a hostel in Christchurch. Wake up Sep. 2nd for a long bus day through some great scenery (the first day of these types of trips are always long bus trips, great for relaxing and meeting the people around you). Today we meet our mascot, an inflatable sheep (yeah Im as puzzled as you are) and stop occasionally for pictures. Staying the night in Fox Glacier.
DAY 2: Today is glacier day. We pack on steel teeth boots and get ice picks as we watch the transition from rainforest to glacier walking along. The creaking and moaning of the glacier is audible and parts might even break off! The night will be spent in Wanaka, a beautiful lakeside town.

                                    I heard that we get to do this on the glacier! 
DAY 3: Another travel day to Queenstown, known as the adventure capital of the world. We will arrive in the afternoon and party at night.
DAY 4: Busy busy day. We start of by jetboating on a river through the Shotover Gorges. Apparently we will be travelling around 60mph and missing rock faces by mere centimeters. The actual itinerary makes sure to state: "Of course it's safe." After the jetboat, we hop into a helicopter to ride through the canyon at low altitude. Since we are now at the top of the canyon, there is only one way out...whitewater rafting out of the canyon! I think they will be class IIIs and IVs, which should be pretty fun. As long as there is no Class V Sunshine Falls, I should be able to just use one pair of underwear for the day (once again, a joke that my brother and father will understand). 
DAY 5: Today we bungee jump off the top of a mountain. Once again, the actual itinerary claims, "Of course it's safe." Afterwards, we take a gondola above Queenstown and then luge down on their luge track made of pine trees and hay bales. A pub crawl at night will "settle the nerves". 
DAY 6: Today is a free day in Queenstown to do what we want. One of the options is skydiving from 14,000 feet so I figure why not? I might as well grow all my gray hairs now right? 
DAY 7: Drive to Milford Sound and then get on a cruise for a really pretty scenery day. Rainforests, mountains, sheer cliffs, and huge waterfalls will be seen. 
DAY 8: Travel by boat in darkness to the glowworm grotto, where thousands and thousands of tiny glowworms are lit up in a dark cave. Spending the night in the University town, Dunedin
DAY 9: Traveling back to Christchruch with a stop to observe and practice sheep sheering. Final night is in Christchurch.
DAY 10: Flight back to Sydney from Christchurch in the late morning, arrive in the late afternoon. 

Well there is the basic rundown, and besides a couple of movie reviews in the next couple of days, I wont be blogging for a week or so. But when I get back, you can count on quite a few new, hair-raising, and exciting blogs coming your way! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment